template

Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Final Days

Un mapa of Toledo (in Spain duh! Not to be confused perhaps with Toledo, OH?):



View Larger Map

Well folks, these are my final days in Spain ... insert snotty sniffling nose yet once again! So after my down right embarrassing cry fest on my bus ride from Zaragoza back to Madrid, I was going to relax and finally buy my souvenirs. Yes I waited till the very end to do such a chore, don't get me wrong a girl likes to do her shopping but not so much when it comes to souvenir shopping. For starters, souvenir selections can be quite boring and second souvenirs are expensive! But it is what it is and after much deliberation I will admit I purchased the best souvenirs money could buy ... haha literally!

My final days in Spain, which was only 2 days ... eek! Gee, really 2 days left? It seemed like yesterday when I arrived looking ahead at the next 17 days I was going to be spending there thinking I had soooo much time! Time flies! My plan was to spend the time in Madrid Friday, then Saturday visit Toledo, then Sunday I would be up super early to board my flight to NYC. I just knew it'd go by so fast and I tried so desperately to remember every moment of my time here.

My B-BBFL (aka boy best friend for life :P BFFL courtesy of Meglet, my 8 yo roomie) Daniel, met up with me in Toledo and we set out exploring this cute small city. This city was quite cute, and the streets were made of cobblestone and once again like a maze wherever you turned. This day felt exceptionally scorching hot, perhaps it was where Toledo was located, but Daniel and I were so hot and sweaty ... yet another not so glamorous hair day!


Photobucket

I bet your wondering about the bottom right picture, well it was only bound to happen ... I was arrested by a hot and delicious Spaniard policia hunk ... its true ... I mean, doesn't everyone get to bring their camera in their jail cell with them? :P

I liked Toledo, and I probably would have enjoyed it way more if it wasn't so stinking hot! The whole time in Spain I was a trooper and didn't complain about the heat because after all it is what it is. However, that day I was definitely complaining because it was sweltering! I was glad to see this cute city but was also very glad to get on the air conditioned bus back to Madrid. So long Toledo! Thanks for the great memories!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

See the bottom right picture again? Lol ... really I am a law breaker! That was an "illegal" photo inside a church in Toledo ... I'm hardcore. I hated having to pay euros to enter churches, so I figured I'm gonna get one picture since I paid money to enter ... come on! Do they really expect less? Shoot, for the entry fee they might as well throw in a complementary glass of red vino ... because seriously Jesus drank wine ... just sayin.

Daniel and I decided that on my last day in Madrid it was necessary to finally eat me some Mexican food while in Spain ... because that's what everyone thinks they eat in Spain! Lol :P This Mexican restaurant was super cute! The margaritas weren't as "grande" as this girl prefers but still quite yummy! The rim was coated with a chili salt ... uber num! Daniel and I shared some nachos and fajitas, and my foodie review of this place? Definitely cute and loved the atmosphere but come on, we live in Washington where there are Mexican restaurants on every corner like Starbucks. Frankly we are also spoiled because we have really good Mexican food ... and I've been to Arizona where there is even better Mexican food. So if you must eat Mexican food in Spain be prepared to be disappointed in the food, it's only so-so .... I'd rather be drinking sangria and partaking in yummy tapas instead. After all, when in Spain do as the Spaniards do!


Photobucket

But seriously cute right? So colorful and so many fun things to look at! They probably thought I was crazy taking so many pictures of this place!!


Photobucket

After Mexican food, I had to stop at our favorite Tapa Bar before leaving Spain. The waiter was cute to look at and the drinks were delicious ... so off we went to have some drinks ... oh and we also had to track down the Cola Coa hot chocolate! Had to bring some of that deliciousness home with me!


Photobucket

I honestly don't know where the time went on my final day in Spain, Daniel and I wandered, filled our belly's and ended up at McDonald's at the end of the day. I know, I know, McDonald's?! Honestly, the McDonald's in Spain was always super busy and they actually had different menu items than our McDonald's. Let me clarify something, this girl doesn't eat McDonald's unless its an ice cream cone ... my body + McDonald's = unhappy stomach so I stay clear of fast food. Not my cup of tea. However, when in Spain it is very interesting to see the cultural differences between our main stream fast food and theirs. Their menu consisted of Spanish style salads (my favorite style...been making them at home ever since I've been back!), beer, and pastries. They actually had a whole separate section in McDonald's dedicated to pastries and other baked goodness...num! What brought me to McDonald's this particular night was the fact that they serve beer, and I just had to order some for myself! I mean come on, beer in McDonald's? Lol ... serve it up por favor!


Photobucket

It had been a long day of walking and it was time to end my day with a goodbye to my B-BBFL, I know I'd see him once he returned but it was so nice having so much time with him. I felt like we were in Spain experiencing such great moments together, I wish I could have stayed and wandered more with him! I was going to miss him for the next couple months! Thank goodness for Skype!

I didn't get much sleep that night because I was going to be up early and I wanted to attempt to sleep on the flight to NYC. (Haha who am I kidding? I never can sleep on an airplane! So annoying!) I packed up all my stuff, jammed it into my overflowing luggage and rode the metro to the airport ... I am so glad I gave myself so much time because let me tell you, the Madrid airport is ginormous! It took me forever just to figure out where to go and where my flight check in point was at!

So there you have it folks, my journey through Spain! So many great memories and people along the way that I will forever hold a spot in my heart for this beautiful country! I can't wait for the day when I can visit this country again, or as I refer to it now as my future homeland ... I think I can make it happen, just watch!

Next stop: NYC

Besos! Go.Be.Love

2 comments:

  1. future homeland?? holy crap, we need to get together!!

    um, yes beer + mcdonalds = a good way to get me to go! :)

    your trip was absolutely amazing. im so glad i got to live through your blog! LOVE YOU like crazy, girl!

    ReplyDelete