template

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Madrid

Awe Madrid...the city of hot guys...I mean the city of fabulous shopping, sites, and fabulous history and culture! After my amazing first weekend it was time for me to head to Madrid, and for Alberto to go back to Zaragoza for his busy work week. I didn't have long by myself in Madrid before my other friend, Daniel, flew in. I stayed in a very centralized location, Hostal Jerez, on Montera Blvd...or as I so kindly referred to on my travels as "prostitute blvd". Mainly due to the many prostitutes that lined this particular street, I'd like to think the prostitutes and I had a friendly understanding by the time I left; keep to yourself and I'll keep to myself! :P It also helped that I walked around Spain with confidence, as if I belonged....it worked because people did not know I was a tourist. They would immediately speak to me in Spanish, then when they quickly figured I spoke English, they then assumed I was from England. Kinda worked in my favor....American's sometimes aren't fondly looked at. Not just in Spain but all over the world...hmm, maybe it's the poor representation on reality TV....or the closed mind ignorance of our politicians....or the hypocrites....ooops sorry...mini tangent!!

So first let me explain a couple things on the differences between staying in a Hostal versus Hostel...I'm sure you all have seen this movie and perhaps it popped into your head when I told you where I stayed, "Hostel". Frankly I'm not gonna lie...I thought the same thing! In a Hostal you are able to have your own bedroom and bathroom, versus a hostel is usually a multi-bed sharing room with a sharing bathroom. Hostels' are not for me, works for some, but I prefer more privacy in a Hostal. Plus both types of accommodations are crazy cheaper than staying in a hotel. The Hostal Jerez I stayed in during my Madrid stay, was very clean, family run, and they still did all the housekeeping services that a hotel would normally do.

I didn't see as many tourist sites in Madrid as I did in Barcelona, in Madrid I had preferred to wander everywhere, exploring all the alleys and side streets....and a Museo every now and then. It was so nice when Daniel came into town, I was a little nervous being completely by myself for the first time. I've never experienced a trip like this in my life, so being in a foreign country where my Spanish is practically non existent was a bit intimidating. I did experience the "culture shock" when I was alone, it really does exist people! Nothing like a mini-cry session in the Museo Prado won't cure! There was also some emotional baggage still hanging on from the divorce happenings before I left...something you don't know is that with some emotional stress you tend to have just random moments where you just need to cry and let it out! So I did! I've decided that if I want to cry, I cry. When I get angry, I get angry. I've really embraced all emotions; good and sometimes embarrassing, and it is what it is! So I'm sure my culture shock combined with the divorce is what led to the mini cry session....which I'm okay with! I think that the people at the Museo must have thought I really enjoyed the art! Lol!

So my list of favorites in Madrid:

Museo Prado
Palacio Real
Plaza Mayor
Parque del Buen Retiro
La Bardemcilla - numtastic!!
Food
Food
Food
Food :P

So as you can see, I didn't see many sites, but I really saw a lot of Madrid! Daniel and I put some serious miles on our feet! Our days were filled with enjoying the locals, mid day drinking, multiple stops at a Heladoria, and tapas! Madrid is a very busy and big city! Loved Madrid, but honestly I'm not a big city kind of girl. It was too busy and chaotic for me, if you love the city and love to shop than you'd love Madrid. I had done a lot of my shopping before my travels, so I didn't really do any shopping because I didn't need anything.

Photobucket

Spain has the most amazing buildings, castles, and churches. Everything about Spain is completely different than here, and perhaps that's why I loved it so much! The castle above is the Palacio Real, we weren't able to go into it at the time, but I did get to enjoy it's beauty from outside. That night had not only beautiful weather, but there just happened to be an amazing orchestra performing in front of the Palacio! Come on! A symphony right in front...can it get any better!?

Photobucket

One of my favorite places to eat was La Bardemcilla, the Bardemcilla may look familiar to you because its the family restaurant of Javier Bardem. He is a famous actor, and he is also married to Penelope Cruz! Cuteness! Amazing food....let...me...repeat...amazing food! Everything from the Sangria to the pasta dish was divine! So much flavor! Daniel and I probably stayed there for 2 hours relaxing, eating and drinking Sangria. We actually closed down the place, yep that's how we do it Spain! Something fun the restaurant had was the bathroom walls were painted with chalk paint, chalk provided of course, so you could write a little something on them. So of course I had to represent and put my blog "Go.Be.Love", leaving a little bit of me behind wherever I go! Also, the bottom right photo is a camp still around from the Spanish Revolution....read up on it! Still a big deal, actually a huge deal!! It was located at the bottom of Montera Blvd where I stayed...kinda cool.

Photobucket

In between my Sangria "testing"...lol...I did stop to enjoy a cerveza here and there. I purchased a beer called Mahou at a small little shop ran by someone's grandpa, he was so sweet! Well with my limited Spanish, I had attempted (with Daniel's help of course!) to ask if drinking beer on the street was legal, he responded with an "Of course!". So I drank my cerveza on the street, only to later find a sign saying that drinking beer on the street was prohibited, lol oopsey! Really, what's the worst that could have happened? An extremely hot Spaniard policia coming to tell me I couldn't drink on the streets, and if he just happened to want to handcuff me and take me back to my Hostal where we would break all sorts of laws ... oops sorry daydream sidetrack!



Photobucket

Another favorite, the above Tapa Bar! Visited here a couple times because the drinks were super yumtastic and the tapas were equally delicious!! Of course that cute bartender in the background was the added bonus!! My favorite drink there, shockingly not the Sangria, but the Mojito! Remember, when ordering drinks in Spain they come with free Tapas....so don't order anything additional unless you are super hungry!!



Photobucket

Now for the shocker, because I've had to say this to multiple peeps, Mexican food does not originate from Spain so there really is no Mexican food in Spain. Spaniards are more along a Mediterranean diet with fresh goodness, and depending on the region it can change. Daniel and I stumbled upon the above Mexican restaurant in Spain, and really it was the only one we found! Its not like Washington where there are just as many Mexican restaurants as there are Starbucks, but we found one and had to eat there! And how did it taste? Eh, it was okay. Daniel and I shared the fajitas which tasted similar to chicken terriyaki....I think if you wanted to start your own business in Spain you'd make a killing, especially in the food industry! Even cupcake shops, in all my wandering around the different cities the only cupcake shop I found was in Barcelona, and just like the Mexican food it was only okay!

My nights were usually spent at the Hostal Jerez, mainly because I didn't feel particular comfortable walking around late at night in Madrid....really it's not just Madrid, I don't anywhere unless I have someone with me. So my nightly routine was me lounging in the lounge of Hostal Jerez, kicking my sandals off, propping my swollen feet on the couch, drinking multiple cerveza's, reading or chatting it up with Carlos. (He was the night shift employee) I can never fall asleep before 2am, so it was necessary to have some socialization versus being stuck in my room bored....not fun! Carlos and I quickly became buddies by the end of my stay in Madrid. In fact, he bought me most of my beers because I provided him with nightly entertainment and he provided me with the much needed socialization! Lol! We were quite the pair!! Another reason why Hostal's are great, they are smaller and you get to know the staff really well!

So my thoughts on Madrid, nice to visit but couldn't live there. Too busy for me, I prefer a more laid back city....nice to visit, shop, and eat but after a week I was ready to venture somewhere else!

That's all for now peeps, stay tuned for more Spain posts.....Besos!

Go.Be.Love

PS - Sorry for the horrible sizing on the photos...still trying to figure out PhotoBucket better! Grr!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to read your adventure!! Love you and so happy youre happy!

    ReplyDelete